Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

Jentik Manis, My Colorfull Dessert ^^

Hoi hoi...
How was your weekend? Was it good? I hope it was good. Because I had a great weekend. Hehehehe...  On Saturday, I went to Rotterdam and ate Japanese food. Then on Sunday, I spent my time (with my boyfriend) to make a dessert. We made Jentik Manis. For the name, I can understand if you feel strange. I can't translate it, but let me try. Jentik means Little Finger and Manis means pretty. Since it's strange to call it Pretty Little Finger, let's agree to keep calling it Jentik Manis. Ok?

So, what kinds of food is that? Jentik Manis is a dessert made from hung kwe flour, dried sago and coconut milk. But yesterday, I didn't use coconut milk, I use milk as a subtitute. Jentik Manis is a traditional cake from Indonesia and you can easily find it there. But as you know, in the Netherlands, I have to make it by myself.

I will share with you about how to make Jentik Manis. I think it is perfect to be served as a cold dessert. First, you can keep the Jentik Manis in the fridge and after you finish with your dinner, you can eat it with your family. I'm quite sure that your children will like it. Because it's sweet.... Hehehehe...

Now, let's make Jentik Manis together.....

Jentik Manis

Ingredients (serves 8):
  • 130gram full cream milk powder
  • 800ml water (for the milk powder)
  • 1 tsp vanilla powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 100gr sugar
  • 50 gr hung kwe flour
  • 100gr dried sago
  • 1 tsp green food coloring
  • 1 tsp red food coloring
  • 250ml water (for sago) 
Method of cooking:
  1. Heat the milk powder with water, vanilla, sugar, and salt until boiled.
  2. Boil 75gr sago with 150 ml water and add red food coloring until cooked. As soon as you see it bubbles stop cooking it. Quickly strain the water and put the sago under cold water to stop the cooking process. And you can strain it again from the cold water. Use the same method for the other sago but using different color.   
  3. Boil half of the milk mixture from step 1 with 50gr red sago and 25gr hung kwe flour then wait until it bubbles. As soon as it bubbles, remove it from the heat
  4. Put the cooked dessert in the mold and wait until it is cooled (if you have ice cube you can put the mold in ice water to cool it faster).
  5. Repeat step 3-4 but use 25gr green sago and 25gr red sago.
  6. Red Jentik Manis, Two clor Jentik Manis before cooling
  7. When it is cooled, put it in the fridge for around 2 hours.
Two Color Jentik Manis



Yesterday, beside making Jentik Manis, I  also experimented  mixing the milk mixture with agar-agar (Jelly). I used white color agar-agar. From this experiment, I found that the texture of Jentik  Manis mixed with agar-agar is harder but the taste is not as good as the original ones. So, for covering the taste, I made vanilla sauce. Well at least,  this is how it looked like.


 Jentik Manis Pudding with Vanilla Sauce




No comments:

Post a Comment